Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Millet....not just for the birds!

This is gonna be a quick one...

I never meant for this blog to be so much about food but I find that I want to share this somewhere.  As we go GF/CF and continue to try new thing I want to share them so that anyone else walking that line may be able to get some help/ideas too.

We made millet this morning as a hot cereal for breakfast.  It was pretty simple to make and cooked while I emptied the dishwasher.  I got the kids a drink and some apple to start the morning because my children seem to wake up starving.  I put 1.5 cups of almond milk and 1.5 cups of water in a pan with a pinch of salt and started it boiling.  Then I added a cup of millet that I had rinsed with water.  Let that cook for about 30-40 minutes. 

I tasted it and honestly was not terribly excited by it.  I did add 1/2 cup of coconut milk and about 1/8-1/4 cup brown sugar.  On each serving I put a small drizzle of raw honey.  The littles have eaten 3-4 bowls each.  One of Brady's sensory issues I have noticed is that he cannot seem to stand mushy foods.  I was wondering how this would go over because of that.  There is enough "crunch" to the cereal that he is apparently ok with it.  I am really glad.  Josey ate 2 bowls as well.  I believe that the kids like it.  :)  

Perhaps next time I will add a little less sugar and just do the coconut milk and drizzle of honey and see how that goes.  I need to remember that the kids are not as used to the sweet as I am.  ok...off to start the day.  We have a friend coming over this morning and I need to get a few more things done.

1 comment:

  1. thanks! Adding millet to our list, we're about to leave for the store that has a good bulk bin section.

    ReplyDelete