Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Squash Pudding Pie

Another recipe I think I mentioned was the squash pudding pie.  The NE suggested this as a breakfast food. Great protein, eggs, and of course getting veggies in the morning is a bonus. 

This was really yummy.  The kids ate it for breakfast and then we had plenty left over for a few snacks after dinner.  I drizzled some raw honey on it for the "snack".  It has an ok texture.  Brady was not overly enthused with it.  He liked the outer parts that were a little less creamy like the middle.  I am making one later with half butternut squash and half sweet potato.  mmmm 

It is low in sugar and fat, and dairy and gluten free.  The NE also mentioned that you could make a crust for it from almond flour or something else similar and gf/cf.  It comes from The Garden of Eating cookbook.

Squash Pudding Pie

3 cups baked or simmered and mashed squash
3/4 cup blended unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
3 whole eggs or 6 egg whites or 1/4 cup dried powdered egg whites blended with 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch powder(I used tapioca starch)
2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice (I used cinnamon and fresh nutmeg)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla or maple extract
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon additional honey, agave nectar or maple syrup or 1/4 teaspoon white stevia extract powder

preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In food processor, Vita-Mix(oh how I wish I had one!) or hand food mill(I used a blender), combine all ingredients except stevia until smooth.  Mixture should be thick.  If too stiff to blen then add 1/4 cup water.  Taste.  Add 1 more tablespoon honey or the stevia if a sweeter taste is desired.  Pie will become sweeter and more concentrated as it bakes.

Pour into an oiled 10-inch deep dish pie plate.  Smooth with a spatula.  Bake in center of oven until firm, slightly golden and dry around the edges, about 60 minutes.  Allow to cool, cover with foil and refrigerate.  (Pie will firm up in refrigerator)

Cut into slices and serve.  Use within 4 days or freeze.

This next one I make I think I am going to make in a larger 10x13 rectangle pan so that I can cut it into bars and and freeze individually.

I have a few other recipes I do want to share here.  Typing them out proves to be time consuming for me for some reason.  :)  I guess when I am blogging my thoughts those just flow...recipes take more thought I guess.  more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment