Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ok...so first things first. a funny story to tell on myself a bit. 
Going gf AND cf is probably more of a mental thing for me but I am mourning things that I had finally gotten ok with being gf that I am now scratching because of the dairy.  specifically pizza.  I know that there are almond milk and rice milk cheeses, and probably others, but they won't melt like dairy cheese.  Sometimes finding a substitute is just not worth it.  So I have been craving pizza.  I packed the kids lunches the other day so I decided to stop on the way home and grab a mini pizza from Pizza Hut.  Yeah...feed the kids awesome and eat crap Gretchen...great idea.  *insert rolling eyes here*.  I know that I need to eat better and I believe that if I quit eating the stuff that I will eventually quit craving it.  I just need to be better about resisting...ok...back to the funny stuff.

I eat the pizza and the breadsticks.  Take Josey to pre-school and drop her off and then head on home.  I ended up laying down with Lucey to get her down for nap.  I completely crashed.  total carb overload.  I could barely keep my eyes open.  I knew I had to make it to get Josey on time so I kept waking and checking the clock but we are talking eyes open barely a sliver.  I was tired, it had been a long weekend, but seriously I think that all the carbs, all the bread items I have not eaten in a long time, caught up with me and just knocked my ass out.  I did get Josey on time, thank goodness, but I was tired for the rest of the day.  It was in interesting and unintentional carb experiment.

ok...so to share a couple of recipes with you guys. 
Yesterday I made some fig bars and the batter to a squash pudding pie, which is now cooking in the oven for breakfast. 
The fig bars are pretty good but I think next time I will use a little less sugar than it called for.  It was a super easy recipe and I was able to make it gf/cf with little to no effort.  I will list the ingredients I used, to make it gf/cf.  I used vegan buttery sticks instead of butter and the Enjoy Life brand of cereal in crunchy flax and crunchy rice.  The recipe called for 3 cups of crispy rice cereal but I used the two different types since flax has great nutritional properties to it.  The recipe also suggested rolling the fig bars in powdered sugar afterwards but I decided to skip this step overall.  I was thinking though that unsweetened finely chopped coconut would be a great option though.

Crispy Fig Bars

  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 5 oz figs, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups crunchy flax cereal
  • 1 1/2 cups crunchy rice cereal
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan
  2. melt buttery sticks in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  stir in the brown sugar and figs.  cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.  about 10 minutes.
  3. stir in the cereal and vanilla until well coated.  firmly press into the pan and let stand for 2 hours.
  4. cut into bars in sizes to your liking.
I cut them and then put them in the freezer to keep for our trip to FL coming up soon.  I did try them and Lucey tried them as well.  We both enjoyed them although as I said I think I would put a little less sugar in them.  The figs are naturally sweet.  I also put my figs in a small food processor to cut them.  They stick together but it works.  I kind of dredged them in the sugar to separate them a bit before heating them.  Here are they are in the pan as I was cutting them and bagging them for freezing.


I am going to post this and will come back later to talk about the squash pudding pie and the other things I intend to make today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment